Skip to main content

My Experience in RBK


Before coming to RBK I thought that it would be a scary place for a person like me, totally different environment unlike anything I have ever experienced. I was correct about the second part, but for the first part; definitely no. I didn't think that I will be able to pass the admission process or even meet the expectations of the admission staff for my progress and assigned tasks. However surprisingly, I made it! I was one among other 40 or so students to be part of cohort 5. I was the happiest person on earth once I received that phone call from Zainab; she was the one that brought me the good news. I'm gonna keep this memory for a lifetime.

One of the expectations I had before attending the prep was that we cohort 5 will be hacking/studying at King Hussein Business Park , which was a disappointment for me; because I have seen the pictures on RBK's social media for previous cohorts.

I have learned a lot in these past four months, more than I could learn on my own for a whole year, and I'm grateful for that. Not just technically; also soft skills wise. I'm more patient now and capable of learning from both the feedback I get from others and my own mistakes. Also I have improved my self awareness and sympathy with the help of our nice counselor Kelsey. The talking circles she held for us as groups were really beneficial to me.

Technically speaking, before RBK I was aimlessly switching between programming languages and stacks with no long term plan set in mind. Even though I have learned the fundamentals of programming at university and on my own  with other languages like Java and android mobile development I still lacked the skills required by the market; whether it was technical or soft skills. After RBK, I'm more like a software engineer now rather than a hobbyist or programming languages' basics collector.  I learned many up-to-date technologies for both client-side and server-side. On the client-side I learned React, React Native, AngularJS, Backbone, jQuery, Bootstrap 4, CSS3 and HTML5. For the server-side, I learned Node.Js, Express.Js, mongoDB, mongoose, and MySQL. Also Jasmine, Mocha and Enzyme for testing and other technologies and tools like  grunt, git, Github and heroku.

I stayed at RBK's dorms for the entirety of those four months, and I'm sure that my family and friends will notice the new changes about me.

This has been the greatest experience of my life, I recommend it to anybody that wants real and measurable changes and progress.

Comments